The Independent Living Funds is now closed 2017

In this section

Advice for Employers

Employing Personal Assistants

Becoming an employer of personal assistants can be daunting - especially if you never had to do anything like that before. 

While many ILF users and disabled people who employ their own personal assistants (PAs) will testify to the benefits of recruiting and managing their own care, it can still be a confusing process - at least, at first.

Using ILF payments to employ someone directly (as opposed to using an agency or a self-employed PA) means you assume the role of an employer and have a legal responsibility to ensure tax and National Insurance contributions are deducted, that you pay people at least the National Minimum Wage, that you give your employees time off, that you treat them fairly and - if things go wrong - dismissal is fair.

Ensuring you know the necessary legislation and your rights and duties as an employer (and helping your employees know theirs) can make for a better working relationship between you and your PAs.  


Individual Rights and Responsibities of Employees - Department of Trade and Industry 

At the ILF, we appreciate that it is difficult to know where to go for advice on employment issues. 

For this reason we have included a link to a Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) document called "Individual Rights and Responsibilities of Employees: A Guide for Employers and Employees" .

This document contains helpful advice about contracts, pay, time off, dismissal, discrimination, statutory employment rights and employment legislation.

It is written by the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) and published on the DTI website.  The DTI are responsible for updating the document.  As with all links to other sites, the ILF can take no responsibility for content or information found on other sites.

Click below to see the document:

Individual Rights and Responsibilities of Employees: A Guide for Employers and Employees (DTI).


National Centre for Independent Living Employers Kit

The National Centre for Independent Living (NCIL) website is a useful place for advice.  They provide an "Employers Kit" with information about health and safety, insurance, paying workers, record-keeping etc.  (This information is provided by the NCIL.  The ILF are not responsible for content and do not necessarily agree with any views or comments expressed on external sites):

National Centre for Independent Living (NCIL) Employers Kit.


About ACAS

Another website that may be of use is ACAS (Advice, Conciliation and Arbitration Service).  This is a service that aims to promote better employment relations by providing independent advice to employers and employees.  One of its functions is resolving disputes without having to go through employment tribunal or similar court hearing.  They offer advice and information on a range of employment issues.  Their helpline number is 08457 47 47 47.  A link to the ACAS website is provided below.  As with all links, the ILF is not responsible for content:

ACAS (Advice, Conciliation and Arbitration Service.


The ILF has provided these links for your general information.  We hope you find them useful.  If you have any comments about the information provided, please email: feedback.



The Independent Living Funds is now closed 2017
Accessibility Guidelines priority 1,2 and 3. If you experience any accessibility issues please contact us.

Level Triple-A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Powered by Ana Hosting | Published by VC